Trump has released his proposed budget plan, and it has Democrats raging.
His plan will reduce wasteful spending and get the U.S. debt under control in a matter of a decade. The plan includes cutting taxes and eliminating those bloated government programs we hate so much.
But as it turns out, there was a lot more fat in our government than we knew.
The administration announced that not only has the government spent money on bad programs, but they’ve continued to spend money on programs that have expired.
The amount of money being thrown away is simply staggering.
From The Daily Wire:
Mick Mulvaney, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, announced that the Trump Administration has discovered approximately $300 billion in federal spending in programs that have expired. This unauthorized spending has a real impact on balancing the budget.
The Trump administration has not yet announced a full list of the programs that are unauthorized, but a quick review of the 2018 budget found 11 programs that Trump is terminating because Congress has not renewed the program in some time.
Below are some of the expired programs and agencies and the amounts they’ve spent in recent years.
- Department of Commerce, Economic Development Administration ($251 million)
- Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Grants and Education ($217 million)
- Department of Health and Human Services, Community Services Block Grant ($714 million)
- Department of Homeland Security, Port Security Grants and Transit Security Assistance (approx. $218 million)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development, Choice Neighborhoods ($125 million)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development, Choice Neighborhoods (this program has spent approx. $150 billion since 1974, without any measurable impact)
- Department of Housing and Urban Development, Indian Community Development Block Grant ($60 million)
The list goes on and on. All of these programs have expired, with Congress refusing to renew them. Yet cash was still flowing into them, with everyone looking the other way. Many of these programs have not been proven to even be effective.
But your money was going to fund them, anyway. That’s how our government’s been operating for years. Zero accountability. Zero results.
Perhaps now, with a real leader in the White House, this kind of bloated spending will be brought to an end.